The holiday season is here, and fewer people are listing their homes for sale, as they prepare to entertain family and friends, get caught up with a hundred and one Christmas chores, travel, or just take a much-awaited hiatus; or else they think buyers are too preoccupied, unavailable, or unwilling to brave the snow. But someone told me recently to give him 3 good reasons why he should sell his house over the holidays. I’ll do better than that – I’ll share 11 reasons why!
1. People who look for a home during the holidays are more serious buyers.
Most home buyers shop around in the spring when most sellers put their house on the market. But if someone takes the time and the effort to look at your house over the holidays, he really needs to buy soon. For you, the seller, that’s gold. So listing your house at this time lets you catch the best buyers and save your own time and energy in selling your house by eliminating buyers who are “just looking around” or aren’t in a hurry.
2. Serious buyers have fewer houses to choose from during the holidays.
By selling your house over the holidays, you’ll not only get serious buyers, but you’ll also find it easier to sell to them because there’s less competition.
3. Since the supply of listings will dramatically increase in the spring, there will be less demand for your particular home then.
You’ve heard the old adage: “The early bird catches the worm.” You can up your chances of selling your home if you get a headstart in the market. You just may catch the early buyers, who want to get a headstart themselves in looking at homes.
4. Houses show better when decorated for the holidays.
Homes are preened and lit up during the holidays, so they’ll look better at less cost to you and will thus be easier to sell.
5. Buyers are more emotional during the holidays, so are easier to please.
Buyers may be drawn to your house just because it reminds them of their childhood home at Christmas and all the good times they had there, or they may just be generally in a better mood that makes them easier to talk to.
6. Buyers have more time to look for a home during the holidays than they do during a working week.
Not all people are busy at Christmas, and those who really need to buy a house soon can find the extra time now to look at what’s on the market.
7. Some people must buy before the end of the year for tax reasons.
There are people who are determined to buy at year-end so that they could deduct the property taxes, mortgage interest, and loan points from their tax return that year.
8. January is traditionally the month when employees start in their new jobs.
Many people start the year with brand new jobs for which they have to relocate, which they do over the holidays.
9. You can still be on the market, but you have the option to restrict showings for six or seven days during the holidays.
You need not be available for home showings the whole time over the holidays. You can arrange to take a break over Christmas and New Year week, when you and home buyers would most likely be busiest.
10. You can sell now and arrange for a delayed closing or extended occupancy until early next year.
If you don’t want to sell your home over the holidays because you won’t be able to move at Christmas, take heart because you can sell your home now and come to an agreement with the buyer to set the occupancy date at up to 120 days later.
11. By selling now, you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the spring, when many more houses are on the market for less money.
You can time your purchase of that new home that you’ll be moving to in the spring, when there are more houses to choose from and prices are more competitive, if you sell your home now.
These should give you more than enough reasons to decide to sell your house over the holidays. If you decide to sell, better act fast. But if you just want to take it slow and have all the fun you can get this Christmas, you won’t be making a bad decision at all. Whichever way you go, have a merry Christmas!
Are you looking to Sell or Buy a home in Calgary and need someone who won’t rest until you’ve found your dream home or until your home is sold? I’ll work hard to earn your trust and to deliver exactly what you need. Contact me at 403-589-0004 or at TheHowardTeam.net.
About Bryon Howard
Bryon Howard and his team of Calgary real estate professionals sell an average of two homes a week. He is a member of the MLS Million Point Club, which ranks him roughly in the top 2% of productive realtors in Calgary. His aim is not just to please clients but to help them buy/sell a home in Calgary at the best price, in the shortest time, and with the least hassle. He is a member of the RE/MAX House of Real Estate that leads in the Canadian market. Learn more about Bryon at TheHowardTeam.net.