With so much conflict and uncertainty in the world this year, it is not hard to understand how some people may be having trouble summoning the Christmas spirit. If you find yourself cringing instead of smiling as the holidays draw near, here are a few tips for getting in the Christmas groove – Calgary style.
- Start with Music – Create your own Christmas playlist and blast that music until it rocks. Choose your favourite carols and artists – songs that remind you of your childhood or a time in your life when things seemed simple.
- Make a List and Check It Twice – To avoid getting overwhelmed by all you must do to prepare for the holiday, make a Christmas “To Do” list and take pride and delight in crossing items off once they are done. If you’re not careful, anxiety over workloads and tasks will keep you from enjoying time spent with friends and family. To avoid a meltdown, get organized and stay organized.
- Pay it Forward – If your financial situation permits, buy a gift or donate to a stranger or local family in need of Christmas cheer. If money is tight, take a few minutes to shovel snow from your elderly neighbour’s walkway. You will be amazed at how far a simple act of kindness goes toward lifting your spirits. Joy is truly found in giving.
- Set the Stage – Pull your Christmas boxes from storage and do a little decorating. Take the time to examine individual ornaments that hold treasured family memories and reminders of Christmases gone by. Once the tree is up, kick back, put on your favourite Christmas movie and enjoy a steaming cup of hot chocolate or eggnog.
- Visit a Christmas Market – Instead of doing all your shopping on-line or at a mall, take a stroll through one of Calgary’s vibrant Christmas markets. Support the fine work of local craftspeople and artists and find something for everyone on your list.
- Ice Skate in a City Park – You may find magic in the air after lacing on your skates and taking a few turns around a rink in one of Calgary’s beautiful city parks. The crisp winter air and Christmas tunes playing over loudspeakers should lift your spirits.
Tinsel, garland, presents and twinkling lights are all just signs of the holiday season. They are there to look pretty and help get you in the mood. They are not, however, what Christmas is about. Christmas is about rebirth and renewal, love and sharing. Invest time giving of yourself this year and spending quality time with the ones you love.
The world outside may be frightful at times. Instead of letting that fact get you down, use it as a reason to appreciate and connect with your family and friends, embrace your holiday traditions and make it a Christmas to remember.
Merry Christmas to all!
Are you looking to Sell or Buy a home in Calgary and need someone who won’t rest until you’ve found your dream home or until your home is sold? I’ll work hard to earn your trust and to deliver exactly what you need. Contact me at 403-465-0210 or at TheHowardTeam.net.
About Bryon Howard
Bryon Howard and his team of Calgary real estate professionals sell an average of two homes a week. He is a member of the MLS Million Point Club, which ranks him roughly in the top 1% of productive realtors in Calgary. His aim is not just to please clients but to help them buy/sell a home in Calgary at the best price, in the shortest time, and with the least hassle. He is a member of the RE/MAX House of Real Estate that leads in the Canadian market. Learn more about Bryon at TheHowardTeam.net.